Monday, August 11, 2014

Diva Dash 5K

As a quick follow-up to yesterday's post, I forgot to mention that I do still have short-term and long-term weight loss goals, but I know I can reach those goals without weighing myself everyday. :)

Yesterday morning, I ran in the inaugural St. Louis Diva Dash 5K and it was a great morning!  You can't go wrong with tons of pink, sparkle, and amazing women!  After hearing about the race a few weeks ago, some friends from work and I decided to form a team and thus, the Dandy Divas Dashing team was formed.  I loved that this race was geared towards empowering women and young girls; Girls on the Run was the local charity partner for the race and following the 5K, girls 8 and under were able to participate in the Lil' Princess Fun Run.  I loved watching the younger girls race and seeing the huge smiles on their faces when they crossed the finish line and got their medals and tiaras!

Packet pick-up on Friday afternoon was very efficient and the volunteers were very friendly.  Tutus were available for purchase, although I was excited to try out my Tough Girl Tutu.  What better race to give it a test run, right?  I loved the tech shirt that we received for registering and was even more pleased to find out that the original size I requested was too large!  Since it was a women's cut tech shirt, I erred on the side of caution and got a 2X, because in my experience with tech shirts, the bigger the better.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2X way too big and was able to swap out the 2X for an XL on race day.

Love this race shirt!  You can't tell from the pic, but the silver parts of the shirt are sparkly!
Race morning was a bit dreary and muggy and it started to sprinkle a bit as I headed down to the race site.  The overcast day though worked to our advantage as it made all of the pink shirts, tutus, and sparkles stand out against the gray sky.  This was a much smaller race than I'm used to (about 448 people based on the race results), but I really loved it, particularly since I could park so darn close to the starting line.

The one slight drawback of the smaller race was the retro timing chip that you had to affix to your shoelaces prior to the race. I think I've run one other race where that was the case, but all of my other races have had the timing chip embedded into the race bib.  Not a big deal, by any means, and they even had people at the finish line to cut off the chips for you, which was a nice touch!

There were a lot of accessories available for purchase at the starting line, so if you forgot a tutu, tiara, or headband, you were all set to go!  It was a lot of fun to see so much creativity in full force and we even ran into Princess Aurora near the packet pick-up area.  She had a beautiful costume that she bought from Etsy and we talked to her about her RunDisney experiences, which was neat.  

We took a few group photos before the race started so we could model our team t-shirts.  My friend, Stacy, found a local screen printer who whipped up our shirts in no time at a very reasonable price.  I love that our shirt features one of my favorite running mantras:  I Got This!  If you are in the St. Louis area and you have a need for screen printed items, check out Abby Dabbles.  We loved our team shirts!

Team Dandy Divas Dashing
I noticed as we were waiting near the start line that many of the runners had their names on their bibs, which I love.  I think that it may have been a feature only available to individual participants and/or we missed the deadline for pre-printed bibs, as ours didn't have our names, but there is always next year!

The starting line had great music playing to get us going (who doesn't love a little Fergie Ferg singing Glamorous to get you in the Diva mode?) and at 8:00 a.m., we were off to run the 5K.

The starting line; a sea of divas in pink!
I ended up walking most of the race for two main reasons.  1) my calves are still really bothering me but I hope (fingers crossed!) that the new shoes I'm getting for my birthday next week will help 2) I was having wardrobe (i.e. chaffing) issues.  I bought a pair of black running shorts to wear under my tutu, as it is far too short and shear to be worn without any type of under short/pant.  I hoped the shorts wouldn't ride up but alas they did and I forgot to put BodyGlide on yesterday morning (I also forgot my Garmin and my arm band.  Clearly my brain does not function that early on a Saturday morning) therefore resulting in some special chaffing in the inner thigh area (sorry for tmi).  I love the shorts though, but I think I am going to have to use them for cross-training on the bike and elliptical only. 

In any case, I had a nice race doing a bit of run/walk intervals and listening to an AMR podcast about completing a sub 2:00 half marathon. I'm fairly certain that a sub 2:00 half is not in the cards for this girl, but it was a good podcast nonetheless.  I enjoyed people watching during the race and the overall positive atmosphere of race day; there was a lot of encouragement and laughter along the course, which is always nice.  I kept pace with a woman doing the race with a girl who I presumed was her daughter.  A gentleman, who I presumed was her husband, was following them along the course and he would stop every half mile or so to cheer his wife along and encourage her.  I think she may have had an injury because she had KT tape on the back of one of her legs.  In any case, he would drive ahead a bit on the race course and hop out of his car to run with her or cheer her on as needed, which I thought was really sweet.  

My gals were cheering me on for the last quarter of a mile or so and I was super excited to get my Diva bling.  We saw a preview of the medal on the race website and it did not disappoint!  It was sparkly and divalicious!  My finish time was 49.12.7, which certainly is not my best 5K by any means, but it was a really fun race with some great women and I'm looking forward to running with them again soon! 

Our team post-dash, including Stacy's two sweet daughters who participated in the Lil' Princess run
Sweet Diva bling
After grabbing some post-race sustenance and team photos, we headed over to watch Stacy's daughters participate in the Lil' Princess run.  Each age group had it's own race, beginning with the under 2 crowd and ending with the 8 year olds.  The race distances coincided with the age groups with the littlest Princesses running a shorter distance than their older counterparts.  

A few of us headed to a local restaurant for a post-race breakfast, which was delicious!  We even ran into a few fellow Divas at the restaurant.  

It was definitely a great morning and a great race with my fellow Divas!  Have you participated in a Diva race before?  Do you have any suggestions for other Diva-like races? 

"Flaunt that skirt.  Rock those socks.  Stand out in the crowd.  Run like a diva."