Saturday, October 11, 2014

On the eve before my second half marathon

I have mixed emotions about my second half marathon tomorrow morning, due to feeling somewhat unprepared, but I am mainly excited, particularly since this race has been one of my favorite races to date. Tomorrow, I am running in the Great GO! St. Louis Halloween Race, which combines my love of running and Halloween.  What could be better?

I got a great pep talk from my friend, Mary, the other day, so I am trying to be as positive as possible.  I really loved this race last year (I did the 10K), so I hope the excitement of the race and seeing all of the great costumes keep me pumped, too.

Speaking of costumes, unlike last year, my Halloween costume this year is not runner friendly, so I did a bit of improvising and came up with a pretty cute outfit.  I love, love, love my Tough Girl Tutu, which I received as part of my swag as a member of the BAMRR team for Napa, so I knew I could create a fun costume using that.
A little Super Girl action with my badass Tough Girl Tutu
One of the best things I read before my first half in the spring was the idea of creating good, better, best goals for your race so that no matter what, you will have a good day.  With that in mind, my goals for tomorrow are:
  • GOOD:  To not get swept.  This is a legitimate concern of mine.  There is no full marathon in conjunction with this race, which usually gives the half marathoners a lot of breathing room in regards to finish times.  There is a very firm 3 hour and 15 minute time limit tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous because I did my spring half in 3:30, so I need to shave 15 minutes off my time.  It's not impossible, but I would feel a bit better if I was a bit more prepared running wise (and not having IT band issues, too).  It will be a good day if I finish the race in 3:15 and don't get swept.  This equates to an average pace per mile of 14:53, which seems absolutely doable as long as my IT band doesn't flare up.
  • BETTER:  To stick with my 4:1 run/walk intervals throughout the entire race.  I tried 6:1 intervals last week, but to keep my IT band at bay, I'm going to shorten my run intervals and see if that helps.  
  • BEST: To complete the race without any IT band pain.  I've been doing a lot of stretching and foam rolling this week in the hopes of avoiding any of the pain I experienced last weekend.  Fingers crossed! 
I'm also sending badass vibes to Sarah Bowen Shea tomorrow as she runs the Victoria Marathon aiming to achieve a Boston qualifying time for the 2016 race.  After watching her commitment to her training plan in Napa and watching her sheer determination in overcoming the obstacles that she faced on her legs, particularly her last Napa leg, I have no doubt that tomorrow is her day.  I've signed up for race text alerts so I can keep up with her race.  With the time difference, I will finish around the time her race starts, or shortly thereafter.  Go, Champy, Go!

Tomorrow as I cross the starting line, I'm going to remember my favorite quote:

"She believed she could, so she did."