Friday, March 20, 2015

Feeling inspired

Friends, I think I have turned a corner!  For so long, I have felt uninspired and unmotivated and I had no clue how to pick myself up by the bootstraps and get back in my zone.  I think I can honestly say, though, that the past few days have given me my mojo back!  A series of events and experiences has brought me to this point and I feel inspired, motivated, empowered, excited, and like I have a renewed sense of purpose.  I have been buzzing all day and have likely scared a few of my friends and co-workers in the process, but I can't contain my excitement.

So what has led me to this point?  Last night, I attended a panel discussion at a local university about women in leadership and it was phenomenal.  In addition to being moderated by the (female) president of said university, the panelists also included Maxine Clark, founder of Build-A-Bear, and Kathy Mazzarella, President and CEO of Graybar.  It was an eye-opening and inspiring event and I think the most important points that I came away with were:

  • "If you don't have your dream job, find it or make it."  Maxine Clark (I thought this was beautiful and while easier said than done, it has inspired me to follow one of my dreams, but more on that below.)
  • Don't let other people put you in a box.  Other people's biases are just that.  Their biases are their problems, not yours.  You belong at the table, you belong as a participant in important conversations.  Make your presence known.  Speak loudly and confidently.  Words of wisdom from Kathy Mazzarella. 

I walked away from the event feeling like I could do anything and I can.  Maxine's comments helped push a thought/dream/goal to the forefront of my mind when I, myself, have been pushing it further back in my mind.  I love to write and over the past few years, I've found that writing this blog has been just as cathartic for me as running.  In the back of my mind, the far corners of my brain, really, I've thought that maybe I'd like to pursue writing even further and write articles or maybe even a book someday.  I'm not sure if fear or insecurity has kept that thought in the background, but it's time to push that goal to the forefront and start to make it a reality.  I want to write a book someday about running and weight loss and hopefully inspire others to reach their goals, both health/fitness goals and general life goals.  With that being said, first and foremost, I want to resume regular blogging! 

This morning, I had the wonderful opportunity to speak to Nichole, a morning anchor for our local NBC affiliate along with my "runching" buddy, Stacy, about the importance that running has played in our lives.  It was an honor and pleasure to talk to her as part of a story they are doing about women and running.  Talking about running and the impact it has had on my life was reinvigorating and the perfect reminder to challenge myself and get back to my running roots.

Stacy, the wonderful Nichole Berlie from KSDK, and me this morning in the park
As if the morning wasn't exciting enough, Stacy and I decided to get breakfast after talking to Nichole and we went to the cafe at the visitors center at the park near our office.  As we sat and talked, I noticed a woman go by with a friend and I thought she looked familiar.  I told Stacy that I thought she was Amy Marxkors, who writes columns for our local Fleet Feet newsletter. I adore Amy's columns and I've shared some of her posts on my blog, because they are so timely, motivational, and inspiring.  So often, I feel like Amy is speaking directly to me because her blog posts are so apropos.  She headed on her way, but then returned awhile later and I told Stacy again that I thought it was Amy.  Stacy encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone and go ask if she was, in fact, Amy.  So, in true fangirl fashion, I went up to her and asked if her name was Amy and when she confirmed that was her name, I double checked and asked if she was Amy Marxkors who writes the Fleet Feet newsletters.  It was her and we had a lovely conversation with her!  She is just as delightful in person as she is in her posts and it was so nice to meet her and talk for a bit!

Me, Amy, and Stacy.  #fangirlmoment
The combination of talking to Nichole and Amy reignited my goal to run a full marathon someday.  Yes, a full marathon.  I told myself during my first half that I would never, ever do a full and I reiterated the same sentiment at mile 12.5 of my most recent half marathon a few weeks ago (recap to come soon!).  I could not fathom doing another 13.5 miles at that point. However, my wise Napa teammate, Erin, reminded me that of course I couldn't fathom a full at that point, because I hadn't trained for it.  Light bulb moment for me, for sure.  Mentally and physically at that moment, I was not prepared for a full, but when the time comes, I will train properly for it and will be ready for it.  The full marathon is still a ways off; I'm thinking late 2016 or early 2017, but I'm putting it out there in the universe.  It's big and scary, but most good things are, right? 

So there are two big, scary, exciting dreams that I am putting out there for all to see: pursue writing (continue writing, write articles, write a book) and do a full marathon!

What are some of your big, exciting, scary goals and dreams, both short-term and long-term?  

"Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you." Marsha Norman

No comments:

Post a Comment