Friday, June 21, 2013

Power Songs

I love music.  A lot.  Music makes me happy and gets me through just about anything life throws my way. If I am in the car or cleaning the house, more than likely the radio or iPod is blaring and I'm singing along with reckless abandon.  I've also been known to chair dance at work or to just start dancing randomly to the song presently stuck in my head (it's not weird. Don't judge).

I have songs I listen to when I'm happy, sad, angry, or just want to cut loose and dance (thankfully my children still find this side of their Mom amusing.  I wonder how long that will last?).  Working out is no different. When I am struggling through an intense workout, a great playlist really gets me through.  Some say that you shouldn't work out to music, but I don't think I could possibly workout without it.  So I say, do what works for you.

My workout playlist is cyclical, for example, last summer was the summer of Some Nights by fun. I'm always adding new songs to keep me going and thought I'd share my current favorite power songs.


  • Girl on Fire - Alicia Keys (sometimes it's like she's bursting through my yurbuds telling me to push through. Great power song)
  • Diva - GLEE cast (but the original by Beyonce is also great)
  • Do Better - Say Anything (on the slower side, but great beat and message "You can do better...")
  • This is the New Year - GLEE cast (I love GLEE, ok? But I think it's time for me to get the original by A Great Big World, because I'm starting to like it a bit more)
  • I Love It - Icona Pop (great angry song, but also good for pushing me to the limit)
  • Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke, T.I. & Pharrell (fun to listen to anytime) 
  • Feel this Moment - Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera (great beat to workout to)
  • Radioactive - Imagine Dragons (slow, but I love the intensity of the chorus and it pushes me through tough intervals)
  • Treasure - Bruno Mars (love, love, love this song and find myself singing it when I workout. The people who run past me are probably amused) 
I'm always on the hunt for new songs.  What are some of your favorite songs to workout to? 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura! Good for you! I've been following along on Facebook. I'm with you, I have to have music. Here are some of my gym faves:

    Stonger (Kanye West)
    Club Can't Handle Me (Flo Rida)
    Closer (Ne-Yo)
    I Don't Wanna Be In Love (Good Charlotte)
    Tipsy (J-Kwon)
    I Am the D.J. (Neon Trees)

    Keep up the great work!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andi! :) These are great ones! I love these; especially Stronger! I need to add that one back into the mix. And I love Good Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete