Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday Funday

I love winter break, I really do.  I know I'm spoiled in that I get the week between Christmas and New Years Eve off, but it is good for my soul.  I feel caught up on life (laundry, dishes, quality time with the boys, picking up clutter, etc.) and it feels great!  I think the festivities of the past few days caught up with Jack, because that sweet little boy slept off and on all morning, which he never does.  It was lovely.  Both boys were in bed with me and Nick watched cartoons for awhile while Jack and I cat-napped.  Blissful, I tell you.

When we finally dragged ourselves out of bed, I realized how nice it was outside and we headed to the zoo for some afternoon fun.  Going to our local zoo is probably one of my favorite things to do with the boys and we haven't been in a few months.  We, of course, rode the train first at Nick's request.  My oldest has been into trains since he was about a year and a half and I think he is going to be a lifelong railroad enthusiast.  Then we took a little walk to visit the elephants, because it was Raja's (one of the elephants) 21st birthday.  We also went to the children's zoo and the insect house before heading home for the afternoon.  It was in the 50's this afternoon, so it was nice to be outside for a little while without freezing!  I think all of the fresh air did us some good!

I came across this video a few weeks ago and have been meaning to share it for some time. I guess there is no time like the present!  http://www.upworthy.com/first-these-women-were-offended-then-they-realized-who-was-being-offensive

It's an interesting look at "fat talk" and how we have been bashing our own body images.  We would never dream of saying these hurtful things to our friends or family, yet we say them to ourselves, and about ourselves, all the time.  I admit, I do it to myself and I have to stop.  Matt will sweetly tell me how beautiful I am and sometimes my response is something to the effect of "you mean beautiful and fat?"  What on earth is the point of me saying that?  It was actually embarrassing to admit to saying the above comment, but I have honestly said it before and I have to get out of that viscous cycle.  Yes, I would like to lose weight for my health and to feel better in general, but I am also damn proud of the body I have.  It has birthed and nourished two beautiful boys, it has walked me through countless miles in life, holding me up sometimes far longer than my brain though it could, it has provided comfort and love in the form of hand holding, snuggles, and hugs for my loved ones, and it has given me good health and vitality for the past 31 years.  What is not to love about that?  Food for thought on this Friday night. 

Have you found yourself saying detrimental things about yourself and your body recently?  Let's vow to change our mindset when it comes to our body image!

"There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty." 

No comments:

Post a Comment