Monday, December 2, 2013

I need motivation and a bit of tough love

My oh my; I am feeling the post-Thanksgiving food regret and I really, really, really must get myself back on track.  I feel like I have really been slacking with my end of the year challenge and I'm not sure why.  Well, I have a pretty good guess.  I worked my ass off for my birthday challenge and I think I burned myself out.  I promised myself a day of letting go on my birthday to enjoy eating cake and whatnot, which would have been fine had I stuck to just that one day.  However, one day has turned into countless days of slacking off and I need to re-ignite the fire inside of myself, the ironclad determination, and indestructible willpower that I had over the summer.  Lovely Laura is devolving into marginally Lazy Laura and it's time to turn that around!

I saw last week that Runner's World was promoting a holiday running streak challenge (http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/the-2013-holiday-running-streak) by asking people to commit to running a mile every day between Thanksgiving and December 31st.  I think it is a great idea, but admittedly I was intimidated by the challenge and talked myself out of it.  What happened to the girl on fire?  My goodness.  I am not one to back down from a challenge, but this one spooked me for a number of reasons.  1)  To be able to run a mile every day more than likely means I would have to get up early at least several times a week to fit a run in and I like sleep 2) how would I manage to go for a run on Christmas Day? 3) I never run on consecutive days because I am afraid of injury 4) it is supposed to get really cold here in the next few days (after, of course, our lovely 60 degree temps tomorrow, we are supposed to see lows in the teens this weekend. Brr!)

I'm re-reading the above excuses and noticing how ridiculous they are.  Lovely Laura would have the following responses to Lazy Laura:

1) Boo hoo, so you would have to get up early to run.  You know you feel better when you start your day off with exercise and secondly, getting up early might mean that you and the boys get out the door on time some mornings!  Amazing!  Plus, you could still go for runs at lunch, so some days during the week you could "sleep in" a bit.

2) You just do it.  You go for a quick run in the neighborhood while Jack takes a nap between Rounds 1 and 2 of opening presents and while Nick plays with his new toys. You will feel better about eating the delicious, decadent bread that is a Christmas morning breakfast tradition.

3) I don't have much of a comeback for this excuse, because it still does concern me a bit.  However, it's not like I would be running 6 miles a day.  Some days I could go for longer runs, but most days would just be easy runs of a mile or 2.

4) Toughen up, Buttercup.  It's winter.  It's going to be cold for the next 4 months or so and you've run in sleet and snow before.  Bundle up, suck it up and get out there.

So, maybe I can jump on the holiday running streak a little late or do my own running streak.  Has anyone else done a running streak?  If so, for how long?  Would anyone consider doing a running streak? 

I love the quote below; it's a bit of tough love, but it's what Lovely Laura needs to say to Lazy Laura right now!

"I will beat her.  I will train harder.  I will eat cleaner.  I know her weaknesses.  I know her strengths.  I've lost to her before, but not this time.  She is going down.  I have the advantage because I know her well.  She is the old me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment