Saturday, February 1, 2014

It's official...

I've signed up for my first half marathon!  There's no turning back now and that is really, really exciting!  I had planned to sign up by the end of the day today, because I thought in doing so, I would be guaranteed to have my name printed on my bib.  However, I went back to re-read my e-mails from the race organizers and it clearly said you needed to register before February 1st to have your name printed on your bib.  Fail on my part.  This is what happens when you don't read e-mails clearly (or more likely when you are uber-stressed and have 81 million things on your mind, but I digress), but it's ok, because I've decided I will probably buy some scrapbook stickers and put my name on my bib anyway.  For some reason, it just sounds really neat to have my name on my bib.

As I was scrolling through the GO! St. Louis Facebook page tonight, I came across a link they posted to a Daily Burn article featuring the 50 best half-marathons in the U.S.  It was a really great article for many reasons; the half marathon I am participating in this spring is listed as the Missouri race (awesome!) and this was also a great way to flag some races for my lofty goal to run a race in each state.  I recently heard about the Mayor's Midnight Sun Half Marathon which is featured on this list as the Alaska race and I'm sold.  I love Alaska (Matt and I honeymooned there almost 10 years ago) and the race is held on the summer solstice (aka the longest day of the year), which I think is pretty awesome. Check out the article here.

I guess reality is sinking in about the half marathon as it seems much more legit now that I'm registered!  I know I will be ready to tackle it head on, but now more than I ever I need to be mindful of my training plan, eating well, and taking care of myself in all aspects of my life.  I am so excited about this race and I can't wait to cross the finish line!  I had hoped to get a 6 mile run in this weekend and I haven't given up on that yet, but I am waiting to see what the weather is like tomorrow.  The sidewalks and roads were very slick tonight, as the rain we had during the day was starting to freeze as the temperature dropped.  The last thing I need to do is slip on some ice and hurt my tailbone, again.

Tonight I had the pleasure of taking my mom out to one of our favorite, special occasion restaurants.  It was a special occasion, after all.  We were celebrating her one-year anniversary of being smoke-free!  I promised her this time last year that we would go out to celebrate on her one-year anniversary and celebrate we did!  We had a delicious dinner complete with an amazing bottle of moscato, steak, and dessert.  Yum!  Mom, I am so proud of you for taking control of your health and quitting smoking!  We want you to be around for a long, long time and we appreciate it so much that you are now smoke-free!  Congratulations!!

Have you participated in any of the races listed on the list of the 50 best half marathons?  

I love the quote below, because I know I will never be an elite runner nor will I ever win a race, but I will sure give it my all!

"If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort." 

No comments:

Post a Comment