Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Running = clarity

It was so nice to sneak in a run today!  With everything going on in my life at the moment, hitting the pavement today was just what I needed.  A little fresh air, sweat, and some time to reflect.  My friend, Mary, and I met up with two other friends and co-workers, Stacy and Greg, for a fun lunch run.  I ran 4 miles between our path at the park and running to and from campus and it felt good, although mostly after the fact.

Post-run shenanigans
We took a slightly different path than normal, mainly because the actual running paths at the park were snow covered, and it was quite a bit hillier than I'm used to.  It was challenging, but I pushed through and I'm glad I did.  I think part of the route we took today is part of the half marathon route in April, so that was good practice and a few hills never hurt anyone (although my quads beg to differ). My pace was slower than normal, but I consider it a victory that I got out to run today.  And did I mention the hills?

I ran without any podcasts or music and I think that made running a bit harder today, but on the other hand, it was really, really nice to just focus on my stride, my breathing, and pushing through the pain of the hills.  Having that solitude for nearly an hour was good for me.

Today's run will likely be my only run this week, but I will be hard at training again next week!  Half marathon here I come!

Speaking of half marathons (shameless plug alert), I've entered the ZOOMA Run to Napa Contest and if you have a moment to spare, I'd appreciate your vote.  Please click here if you'd like to vote!  (You can vote a day until the contest ends.)

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." 

No comments:

Post a Comment