Monday, February 3, 2014

Running Brings Us Together

I've been thinking a lot the past week about the blog swap that I participated in with my fellow Girls Gone Sporty Ambassador, Kristen.  I re-read our posts on our respective blogs and I was amazed at how different, and yet, how similar our stories were.  We come from different backgrounds and we have taken different paths in life, but in our early years we both had great disdain for running only to find that we loved it! I was reminded of how powerful running can be in that it has the power to bring together people from so many diverse backgrounds.

Nearly every running blog that I read or every runner that I meet says the same thing: I never thought I would be a runner or Previously, I couldn't even run a mile and yet, every person has become a runner and has well-surpassed the mile mark.  I fall into both of the above categories and here I am in the midst of training for a half-marathon.  We all come from different backgrounds, different stages in our life, different ages, different genders, different physical abilities, and varied reasons for taking up the challenge of running; and yet, when we lace up our shoes and hit the pavement, we become united in a common goal to challenge our body and our mind to reach beyond our limitations.  We all began as skeptics and yet, we fell in love with running and keep pushing our boundaries.

I guess the real point of my above rambling is to say to anyone out there who is questioning whether they, too, can be a runner, the answer is yes.  If you search the Internet, you will find so many wonderful running blogs that began as doubtful journeys and turned into amazing successes.  Running is certainly hard and I think you will find that is also a common theme in the running blog world, but in my experience, most good things are often hard and more than worth the hard work.  So have faith in yourself and your abilities, put on your shoes, and hit the pavement.  You'll find that you learn so much about yourself and you'll want to keep running to learn even more!

Editors Note:  The above thoughts make complete sense in my head and I know what I'm trying to express, but I am really tired, so I don't think it is translating well on-line, so forgive my random thoughts today! 

I love the quote below; I feel like at 31, I am just learning how to sail my ship!

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." 

No comments:

Post a Comment