Thursday, July 10, 2014

Trying to become a morning runner

This morning was probably my second best attempt to get up and go for a morning run; my first being an attempt late last summer or early fall when I actually made it out the door and to the trail, only to have it start pouring rain as soon as I got there.  You'll note that I said "attempt" in the first sentence, because I did not actually go run.

I was bound and determined to get up super early this morning to go do my hill repeats, so I went to bed super early for me (8:30, if you're wondering) and set my alarms.  I even set my best alarm, a.k.a. my Mom.  I asked her to call me at 5:45 to make sure I was awake so I could be out the door by 6 a.m.  This is kind of a long standing joke with my Mom and I that dates back to college when I slept through a final exam my first semester of my freshman year.  Whenever I have an important event that requires an early wake-up call, I ask my Mom to call me to make sure I'm up, never mind the fact that I am almost 32.  A girl still needs here Mama and I am so not a morning person.  Never have been and likely never will.

In any case, I had a lovely night's sleep and was somewhat coherent when my first alarm went off at 5:30.  However my throat was very sore and scratchy and I generally felt cruddy.  I snoozed my alarm and when it went off again about 10 minutes later, I sent a text to my Mom telling her I didn't feel good and was going back to bed.  I still felt gross when I woke up, but by the time I got up and moving, I felt quite a bit better.  I regretted not going for my run and felt a bit guilty, particularly since I would not be able to run at lunch or this evening due to a work commitment.  I'm hoping that the general cruddy feeling was just allergies acting up as opposed to a summer cold, but we will see.

I've really got to make a concerted effort to run in the morning, because it is getting hot enough that lunch time runs aren't too feasible, after all, I still want my co-workers to like me and evening running, while feasible now because of the extra daylight, will become more challenging as we move into late summer/early fall.

With that being said, I should go to bed so I can be bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow for a morning run.  At this point, though, I will settle for just getting out of bed!

I'm going to give the below quote the benefit of the doubt, even though I really would like to respectfully disagree at the moment.

"The feeling you have after finishing your morning workout is better than it feels to sleep an extra hour." 

No comments:

Post a Comment