Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Humbling Run

Day 2 of Ragnar Training is in the history books!  Mother Nature was much kinder today, especially since I didn't get out for a run until almost 8 p.m.  Temperatures were in the upper 70's with some humidity, so it wasn't unbearably hot or humid, thankfully!

Getting it done!  I blame the unfocused nature of this photo on humidity, although maybe I need to brush up on my selfie skills.
The training plan for today called for an easy 3 mile run, so that is what I set out to do.  My calves started cramping up almost immediately and the first mile felt a little rough.  I suppose that is to be expected considering I haven't run since the Race for the Cure on the 14th of June.  I pushed on and got into a groove in the second mile and as I headed into my last mile, I felt strong.  It felt like my last mile was my best, and fastest mile, although my pace did not suggest that.  My Garmin said my first mile was my fastest, go figure!   I wish the run had been a little easier with less of a struggle on my part, but it isn't easy getting back into the swing of things, so I'm cutting myself a little slack.  Tonight's run was a gentle reminder to myself to be consistent with my running so I maintain a strong base!

Tomorrow is my choice of an off or cross-training day, but I am leaning towards cross-training.  The weather is supposed to be gorgeous, so a walk may be in order.  Or I may check out the gym that I joined and see what it has to offer.  A little jaunt on the recumbent bike also sounds appealing!  

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." 

No comments:

Post a Comment