Wednesday, May 14, 2014

An uplifting run

Remember when I said recently that I was getting better about weighing myself on a daily basis?  I've, unfortunately, reverted back to my old habits and was thoroughly annoyed with the scale this morning.  I know better than to do this to myself, but it's such a habit.  I was feeling a little mopey about it today, until I went on the most glorious "runch" this afternoon with Mary.

It was quite a bit colder today than it was yesterday, so it was a little chilly when we first started out, but it really was ideal running weather.  It was in the 50's with no humidity and a light rain and it was perfect!  We went on a relatively aggressive run through the park near our office and I asked Mary if it was ok if we made a few detours.

The city of St. Louis is celebrating it's 250th birthday this year and there are quite a few celebratory events taking place throughout the year.  And what is a birthday without cake?  The city has placed 250 fiberglass cakes at various historical and tourist attractions around the city and I'm bound and determined to find all 250 and take a picture with them!  They are works of art, really.  Each is designed to reflect the attraction it represents and they are quite spectacular. The park near our office is home to several of these cakes and so this afternoon, I wanted to track some of them down.

On our way to the first cake location (our Science Center), Mary and I met some friends, a.k.a. ginormous replicas of dinosaurs.  A perfect photo opportunity if you ask me!

After our encounter with the T. Rex, we made our way to the front of the Science Center and found their cake.  
Science Center Cake 
After a quick photo op, we headed back out to run and took on a pretty decent hill.  It was a nice change of pace, as we normally run down this hill on a route that we've run a few times previously.  It was good to change things up a bit.  We came to the Jewel Box next and took a picture with their cake.  I love the bottom layer of this cake with the lily pads!

The Jewel Box Cake
As we made our way to the Muny (our one of a kind outdoor summer theater), we got to run downhill, which my legs appreciated at this point a few miles into our run. The Muny cake was amazing; particularly the second tier that had an almost 3D rendering of the theater.

Meet Me at the Muny Cake
We headed back to the office and went up a hill that we ran last week.  Last week, this particular hill was brutal for me, but today, it wasn't that bad.  I don't know if it was the fact that it was significantly cooler today than when we ran last week or if I was just mentally prepared to run hills today.  I suspect it was a combination of the two.  We ended up doing 3.6 miles today and it felt great!  I felt badass when we were done and much stronger.  I needed that run to remind me that I am more than just a number on a scale.  I've come a long way from the person I was even just a year ago and I am so much stronger and healthier today and that is a great thing.  Thanks for such a great run today, Mer, and for indulging my need to take pictures with the cakes! 

I've been missing my dad a lot and today while we ran I was telling Mary that it has been hard dealing with all of the normal things you have to deal with when someone passes on top of your own grief.  I mentioned that I wish I could tell him about Napa because he would be so proud of me and Mary, ever my voice of reason, said "You don't think you had an angel's helping hand in that?"  She's absolutely right; he knows and is watching out for me! 

Here's a few more pictures from my cake shenanigans over the past few weeks.  6 cakes down; 244 left to go!
St. Louis Art Museum cake on our anniversary 4/30/14
The cake at the college where I work 4/25/14
Jefferson Barracks Civil War Cake (this history buff loved this cake) 5/11/14
I know I sound like a broken record sometimes with my daily struggle to not weigh myself, but I am really going to try to do better in this area, which may come down to hiding the damn thing.  It does seem to be getting low on batteries, so maybe I won't replace them, although I don't think Matt will like this plan.  The numbers on that scale do not define me.  Repeat daily, if necessary!  With this in mind, I am re-evaluating my 32 for 32 challenge (to lose 32 lbs by my 32nd birthday in August), but more on that in a future post this week! 

"You are strong when you know your weaknesses. You are beautiful when you appreciate your flaws. You are wise when you learn from your mistakes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment