Sunday, May 4, 2014

Memorial Garden

We spent another day doing yard work today and prior to that, I chose sleep over a run.  Despite my lack of a run today, though, I feel like I got in a good workout doing yard work.  Nick and I went to the cemetery today to visit my Dad's grave and my Grandma and Grandpa's grave and while we were there, we decided that our new garden would make a nice memorial garden for my Dad and other loved ones we've lost.  We picked up a few things at the store to help get our garden going and I'm loving how it is turning out.

In addition to the hydrangea that we are going to plant, I also picked up a lilac bush.  My grandma loved lilacs and had a beautiful lilac bush in her backyard.  After my grandparents died and we sold their house, my mom and I went over to the backyard and took a branch of the lilac bush to plant at my house.  Unfortunately, that little branch did not produce a bush, but I'm sure this had to do with my terrible gardening skills and not a fault with the branch.  I'm going to give this new lilac bush a fair shake and hope that it and the hydrangea bear with me and stick around for a while.  We are also going to put a garden stone in between the two bushes.  It's a stone that was sent to me after Dad died and it has a nice saying on it that will be perfect for our memorial garden.  We also picked up some edging stones and some solar lights to finish everything off.  We have a little bit left to finish off this week, but it's almost finished.  I'll try to remember to take some pictures when all is said and done.

It was really nice to spend so much time outdoors this weekend, especially after this dreadfully long winter.  The boys had a great time riding around in their toy Jeep and helping me garden with their gardening tools.  I think the fresh air did us some good!

In other exciting news, Nick lost his second tooth this afternoon and he is quite excited for another visit from the Tooth Fairy!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and that you, too, had wonderful weather to enjoy!

"Always keep your face toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment