Monday, May 12, 2014

The hills are alive

Not with the sound of music, but rather with the sound of my heavy breathing.  I had the best intentions of doing hill repeats tonight at the park near my office, but I only ended up doing two, so I'm not sure that counts as "repeats" especially since it ended up being two different hills.  I'm struggling to figure out which type of hill is ideal for hill repeats.  Is a steeper, short hill the best?  Or a longer, more gradual hill?  Or do each serve a distinct purpose and thus, should be used interchangeably for training?  If you do hill repeats, what type of hill do you seek?  

In any case, I did a warm-up run (about .75 mile) and then tackled a fairly long hill.  My legs felt really heavy to begin with and so they weren't too keen on the hill.  I made it up the hill, although the last couple hundred feet were brutal.  Rather than turn around and run back down, I kept going across a flat area at the top of the hill.  I ran down the opposite side of the hill, which doesn't seem to be as steep or as long.  When I got to the bottom, I really wanted to keep running to my car, but I was listening to a great AMR podcast with some super motivational messages, so I turned around and went back up the shorter hill one more time.  I did just under 2.5 miles, which was a little shorter than I planned, but it was a good run and I felt satisfied.

I had a great Mother's Day yesterday complete with a Frozen sing-a-long with the boys, a cuddly, nap with Jack, dinner with my Mom, Matt, and the boys, and a great post-dinner walk at JB with everyone.  The boys made sweet gifts for me at school that I love so much.  All in all, it was a wonderful day!  I hope that all of the mothers I know had a wonderful day, too!

"It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top." 

No comments:

Post a Comment