Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Kick-Off to Summer

I don't know about you, but I can't believe it's Memorial Day weekend already!  I'm very thankful for the long weekend, but more importantly to all the men and women who've served, and died for, our country.  Since this weekend is technically the unofficial beginning of summer, it means all of the pools are open!  After the long, dreadful winter we had, I have been looking forward to pool season for quite some time!  We went to my mom's pool for a bit today and while I was expecting the water to be frightfully chilly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.  It was a bit of an overcast day and it wasn't too hot, so the pool wasn't too crowded either.  We were all glad to be back to our favorite summer stomping grounds!

Prior to us going to the pool, I headed out to run a few errands and to go for a run.  I was glad it was a bit overcast and not too hot, considering I didn't make it to the trail until almost noon.  I went for a quick 2.5 mile run and included all of the big hills, too.  There were so many deer out today, which I thought was strange given that we don't usually see them until closer to dusk.  I saw well over a dozen, the bulk of which were feet from me on the trail!  They are so used to humans, though, so they just stared at me and kept eating for the most part.  The other thing I noticed on my walk was a lot of cottonwood (I think) seeds.  It looked like it was snowing for most of my run and I had the misfortune of getting some in one of my eyes and in my mouth.  It was quite extraordinary to see it falling in such large quantities and gathering on the ground.


Snow in May (off in the distance)?  Nope, just cottonwood seeds!
I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend!

"Exhale 'can't'...inhale 'can'...lace up." 

No comments:

Post a Comment