Sunday, June 29, 2014

Feeling a little klutzy

I had a great weekend, spending much of it at the pool with my Mom and my two little fishes!  Much like their mama, my boys could spend all day in the water and that is fine by me.  You know you've had a good time at the pool when you end up conked out on a chaise lounge like this:

Sweet baby boy napping on his NiNi
My other sweet (almost 7 year old!!) boy
I normally consider myself to be a fairly solid person on my feet, but the past few days have challenged that theory.  I have become rather klutzy as of late.  Friday morning, I'd like to place the blame on the maxi skirt I chose to wear, but I think it is more of a case of me forgetting how to walk when wearing a maxi skirt.  I kept tripping over the fabric of the skirt and ended up wearing it way above my waistline to avoid a major spill.  Prior to that epiphany, however, I managed to get one of my heels (not the shoes I was wearing, by the way, as I was wearing flats) stuck in the maxi skirt.  I realize how ridiculous that sounds, and believe me, it was ridiculous.  As I was collecting my shoes and the boys' shoes before we left the house, I must have stepped over one of my pairs of heels in the kitchen and got one of them stuck on the hem of my maxi skirt.  I didn't realize it until I went to leave and stepped down the first step leading to our back door.  I heard a strange sound and when I stepped down, I stepped onto the heel and scraped my toe.  Truly a ridiculous and perplexing incident!

Then, this morning, I managed to fall down the last few stairs leading to our basement.  I was a little groggy and still a bit asleep, I guess, but I thought I had reached the bottom step and clearly, had not.  I landed on my right shin with my left leg under me, but it doesn't seem like I did any damage other than a little bit of rug burn on my shin.  Luckily, I was not carrying Jack; he was a few feet behind me and ran up to me saying "Mom otay?  Mom?  Ow?"  Such a sweetheart, just like his big bro.

I'm just glad that, so far, my klutziness has not caused any significant injury!  Here's to a little more caution as I move around my day-to-day life!

I wanted to share a recipe that I came across last week that has been a great addition to my breakfast and lunch meals lately.  I wanted to get back to eating steel cut oats in the morning for breakfast and I try to mimic the taste of Panera's steel cut oats with strawberries and pecans.  I could never replicate the right combination of the pecans and cinnamon, though.  Until I came across this recipe for candied pecans from Pinterest.  The pecans were fairly easy to make and the batch I made last Sunday evening made enough to last for two weeks of meals! 

Normally a good holiday treat, I've found these pecans to be a wonderful addition to my steel cut oats at breakfast (add in some fresh blueberries or strawberries for even more deliciousness) as well as my salads at lunch.  I've also been known to grab a few to satisfy my late afternoon sweet tooth! 

What new recipes are you enjoying this summer? 

As I was looking for a quote tonight to end my blog, I came across the below quote and felt like it was meant for me.  I continue to think a lot about my Dad and, in fact, this weekend while swimming, I was saddened by the fact that I'll never get to swim with him again and neither will the boys.  I've been thinking a lot about the missed opportunities ahead, so this quote was fitting.  Thinking about the love and not the loss, I also saw some lightening bugs on the way home tonight and it made me smile because Dad would always take me out to catch lightening bugs when I'd visit him every summer growing up and I look forward to continuing that tradition with my boys. 

"Hold on to the LOVE, not the loss." 

No comments:

Post a Comment