Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Believing in yourself

One of the added bonuses of becoming a runner has been a huge boost in my self confidence and it has never been more apparent than the past few days (post-10K).  I'm aware that I have been a little insufferable lately; I'm beaming with pride, talking a lot about my race and yes, my medal is still in my purse in case you'd like to see it.  I can't help it.  I accomplished something that I never thought I could and honestly, when I look again at the course map, I still can't believe that I ran that far.  It's still a little surreal, but I am so freaking proud of myself and I just want to revel in it for a bit.  

I struggle with self-confidence in all areas of my life and running has provided me with a surge of confidence and the belief that I can do anything I put my mind to, no matter how far-fetched it may seem initially.  On Sunday, there was a serious battle of wills going on in my head though, between the voice saying I couldn't do it and the other voice saying I could.  Crossing the finish line was exhilarating for so many reasons, not the least of which was silencing that voice inside saying I couldn't do it.  

I should note that the pessimism in my head was my own doing, because I have truly amazing and supportive family and friends.  Over the past 10 months, I have been blown away by the encouragement I've received from everyone and I am so grateful.  Having so many people who support me and believe in me, why was it so hard for me to believe in myself?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this, so I guess the point of my rather scatter-brained post is to say that you can do anything you put your mind to.  It sounds contrite, but I really do believe that, more so than ever.  No matter what your journey is; to lose weight, to become a runner, to write a book, to change your career path, whatever it may be, listen to the voice inside that says you can and silence the one that says you can't.  Believe in yourself and know that anything is possible.  No journey is easy, there will always be bad days (weeks, months...), but just keep repeating "I got this" because you do.  

I'm seriously considering making a t-shirt that says "I got this" on the front.  It's become my mantra and I said it repeatedly on Sunday. 

I wish I had discovered the below quote prior to Sunday, but I saw it yesterday on Facebook and it's definitely going up on my quote wall!

"Clear your mind of can't."

No comments:

Post a Comment