Monday, October 7, 2013

Ready to start a new week

Whew; what a busy weekend!  It was Reunion weekend at the college where I work, so I worked quite a bit this weekend, but it was fun.  Exhausting, but fun.  Saturday before I had to go to work, we took Nick to Cub Scouting Day 1 at the local Scout camp and it was a lot of fun, too.  While we were waiting in the registration line, it started pouring, but a little rain didn't keep us away.  Although it did make the trails quite muddy and slippery.  Nick wanted to explore the castle they have at scout camp, but when we tried to go up the path, it was too steep and muddy for us to get the stroller up, so Jack and I stayed behind while the rest of the group went exploring.  It was fine by me; I made the mistake of wearing flip flops and I was already a bit muddy and didn't really have any desire to get muddier.

We were supposed to participate in a 5K this morning, but we decided not to.  My work was a sponsor for a local 5K and we were able to participate as part of our sponsorship, but I was so tired from working this weekend and I had a touch of a headache so we decided to sit this one out.  It's too bad, though, because it was about 50 degrees outside at the time the race was set to start, so it would have been perfect running weather.

Subconsciously, I think I was also a bit scared to run this race for a few reasons.  First and foremost, I have been really struggling to get through 2 miles despite having run a 5K less than a month ago.  (Why then, do you ask, did I sign up for 6 miles next Sunday?  Great question.  Let me know if you have the answer).  Secondly, I have a pretty full race calendar this month with the 10K next Sunday and a 5K the weekend after and I want to avoid burnout. I contemplated running a mini-marathon (3.75 miles) in conjunction with the Rock 'N Roll Marathon the last weekend of the month, but I definitely think that would have been overkill.  

I'm feeling frustrated with the scale, or rather, frustrated with myself, I guess.  I've been feeling rather snack-y lately and while I did run more last week than the week before, I still need to work on my consistency.  It is a new week, though, and I am planning to get several runs in this week before my 10K on Sunday.  I am still quite nervous about the race, but I'm planning on a few pep talks in addition to my runs this week.  I can do this, I got this, and the like.

What races are on your calendar for this month?  

"A run begins the moment you forget you are running." 

No comments:

Post a Comment