Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cabin fever and Race Calendar

On Sunday night before the temperature really plummeted, I went outside and played in the snow like a kid.  I had to practically twist Nick's arm to come outside with me and he looked at me like I was crazy as I made snow angels in the huge snow drifts in our backyard.  We don't get that much measurable snow, or at least it hasn't seemed like it the past few winters, so I wanted to enjoy it for a little bit.

I am now ready for the snow to go away, thank you very much.  Nick's school was called off again today, but I think that was the right call.  I saw so many posts on Facebook yesterday about the horrible condition of the roads and Matt told me when he got home that he was glad the boys and I were at home yesterday.  It normally takes him between 7-10 minutes to get from his office to the highway and last night it took him 45 minutes to go the same distance.  However, after 4 days being home bound, Mama Roeseler and her two boys have a bit of cabin fever.

The boys and I are usually out and about, so it's rare for us to be home so long.  I would much rather us be safe, don't get me wrong, but we've pretty much run the gamut of fun snow day activities. Jack and I have been playing a game for a few days involving me trying to keep him away from his Daddy's computer.  It pretty much looked like Fort Knox today; the third time was a charm and kept him out of the area where Matt's computer is, but he sat next to it for a few minutes and I could see the wheels spinning in his head trying to figure out how to get to it.  He's so curious and adventurous!  We've watched a lot of movies, snuggled, cleaned, read, played, and made another batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Nick made the cookies all by himself and very sweetly told me while reading the recipe that there was an ingredient missing; love.  He is such a sweetheart!

In any case, yesterday our cabin fever reached its peak and it was a bit of a rough Mommy day for me.  So, after Jack fell asleep last night, I made a cup of tea and curled up with my Run Like a Mother book. It has been months since I've read a book and it was really nice to lose myself a bit in the book and enjoy some quiet "me" time.

I was thinking tonight about how restless I am and how anxious I am to start training for the half.  I think my gnarly ear infection and this crazy weather was fortuitous in the sense that I was very apprehensive just over a week ago to get back to running and preparing for this race.  Now that I am not able to train, I am yearning to hit the pavement.  I need to follow up with my doctor to make sure my ear is healing properly before I begin my training, but I'm hoping that perhaps I don't have to wait until the 20th and I can get started at some point next week.

I've also been giving some thought to my race calendar for the year and this is what I have so far:

- St. Patrick's Day Run (5 miles), Saturday, March 15th: I walked most of this race last year, although I did a few running spurts.  I was so terribly sore afterwards, too.  I am looking forward to running this bad boy this year!

- GO! St. Louis Half Marathon, Sunday, April 6th:  !!!!!

- Make Tracks for the Zoo 5K, mid-May (Date TBD): I've done this race for the past few years, with the exception of the year I had Jack.  Last year, Nick joined me and participated in the Kids Run.  It's a great event!

- GO! St. Louis Halloween Half Marathon, Sunday, October 12th:  Last year, I participated in the 10K and loved every minute of it.  Costumes are encouraged and it was just a great race overall.  Provided all goes well in April, I'm looking forward to making this my second half marathon.

I'd also really like to do the Color Run and Hot Chocolate 5K's again this year and I may sprinkle some other races in, as well.  What is on your race calendar for 2014?

"Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way. Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running." 

No comments:

Post a Comment