Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Run Day

There are some things you think you will never say and for me, one of those things used to be Wow, I feel so much better after that run.  It's amazing how things can change, isn't it?  I had an amazing run today that was probably the best thing I did for my sanity all day.  I love my family and we had a great afternoon bowling with some dear friends, but I have been on an emotional roller coaster the past few days and I needed to be by myself to clear my head.

My schedule called for 3 miles today, so I headed out and was actually really looking forward to it.  That was a nice change of pace from the dread I felt before yesterday's 5 miler.  The weather was mild today, the sun was out, and it was really lovely hitting the pavement, listening to my podcast, and enjoying the outdoors.

I took a little tumble at the bowling alley (my daredevil little guy decided to sneak away from us and run past the foul line straight towards the pins and I was right behind him blissfully unaware of how slippery the lane was past that line.  I managed to knock us both out and fall on my tush) and I'm fairly certain I bruised my tailbone, but I wanted to get out for a run and clear my head.  Surprisingly, running actually made my tailbone feel much better and it really only bothers me when I'm sitting down or bending over.

Today's run went by really quickly and I never felt like I couldn't keep going.  Most of my runs lately have had some period of difficulty where I felt like I couldn't keep running, but today that wasn't the case and it was wonderful.  I felt really great while I was running and the miles went by quickly.  I don't know if it is because I did 5 yesterday, but I'll take it!

Another exciting thing that happened on this run is that I didn't come to a halt when MapMyRun said I had completed 3 miles.  I actually felt pretty darn good, so I kept going until I reached a stop sign near my car and I ended up doing 3.1 miles in 38:59.  It's not much more than 3, but the fact that I wanted to keep running even after I had completed the miles on my schedule was a big victory in my mind.  My average pace was 12:34 and my splits were 12:40, 12:30, and 12:27.

All in all, it was a great run today and I'm looking forward to a 4 mile run tomorrow!

Am I the only one who didn't realize how slippery the bowling lanes were after the foul line?  I've never felt the desire to step past the line, but now I know!  If you made it out for a run today, how was your run? 

"Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible, nothing unattainable." 

No comments:

Post a Comment