Monday, January 6, 2014

One year ago today

One year ago today (on 1/5), I decided to get serious about my health and my weight.  I almost always experience that typical New Year's resolution-fueled drive to lose weight and be healthy, but it never lasts more than a few months. This time, though, I had the added desire to lose weight to avoid diabetes.  Having experienced gestational diabetes with Jack, I knew I wanted to do all that I could to avoid diabetes later in life.  I also wanted more energy to enjoy life with Matt and the boys.  I started tracking my food intake using MyFitnessPal and I began training for a marathon relay that took place in early April 2013.  I've certainly had my highs and lows (hello November and December) this year, but in the past 12 months, I've participated in said marathon relay, walked a few 5Ks, become a runner who participated in several 5Ks and a 10K, started a blog about my journey, and I've lost 58 lbs and kept it off.

Christmas 2012 
Christmas 2013
The hubs and I.  Both "losers" in 2013.  He's down almost 30 lbs and I'm down 58! 
I've been really reluctant (embarrassed, terrified, shy, you name it) to post my before and after numbers, so I've been referring to everything in pounds lost and how much  more I want to lose.  However, today, I'm going to suck it up and share the results.  What better time than on the one year anniversary of my journey, right? Right.  This is also a huge kick in my ass to remind myself that I never want to go back to where I was, so I'm going to put it out there on the Internet.  So here goes nothing.

When I weighed in last year on January 5th, I weighed 286.2 lbs.  Yep.  Gross.  Ridiculous.  How did I let myself get there?  (A whole other blog post, really.)  Let's move on to lovelier things, shall we, because while that was terrifying and I'm not proud of where I was, I am damn proud of where I am today. 

When I weighed in this morning, I was 227.9 lbs for a total weight loss in 12 months of 58.3 lbs.  Yahoo!  I would really love to get down to a goal weight of 180, but if I can get under 200 that would just be delightful.

2013 was a really great year and not just weight/health wise and I can't wait for what 2014 has in store.  I'm trying to keep my "resolutions" short, sweet, and realistic this year:
  1. Enjoy life and live in the moment 
    • This includes spending more quality time with Matt and the boys and trying not to take on too much.  It has been spectacular taking a break from the daily grind the past two weeks.  A little break from work, PTO, Cub Scouts, homework, etc... was really good for my mental health. Every now and then I have this thought that maybe I spend far too much time trying to create memories for the boys instead of enjoying the moments we are in now.  These are the deep thoughts I have at night.  I came across a great article about this subject a few days ago and it's worth a read if you feel the same way sometimes:  http://www.modernmom.com/53a7b8b4-3b45-11e3-8407-bc764e04a41e.html)
  2. Finish my first half marathon in April
  3. Get down to my goal weight of 180, so just shy of losing another 50 lbs.  Since I lost that much and then some this year, I think that is fairly realistic, although I realize that as I get closer to my goal weight it will be harder to lose weight and I will undoubtedly experience plateaus.
Here's to a great 2014! 

Thank you also for the words of encouragement about my setback and ear infections!  I am slowly feeling better, although you definitely still need to talk into my good (right) ear!  Honestly, even if I felt up to starting my training tomorrow, it wouldn't happen.  Nearly the entire city is shutdown tomorrow after we experienced Snowmageddon 2014 today and are expecting bitterly cold temperatures with wind chills in the -15 to -30 range tomorrow.  Our "high" tomorrow is -1.  I haven't seen the official snowfall totals yet, but there are drifts in my backyard that come up to the top of my calves, nearly to my knees.  I think the pictures below speak for themselves. 

I can barely see the top of my front tire.  Fun times. 
I don't think I've seen this much snow in the nearly 20 years I've lived here. 
Stay safe and warm to those of you who are in the midst of this arctic cold Snowmageddon!  

I couldn't agree more with the quote below.  I might add that in addition to finding what works for you (everyone is different and what works for someone else, may  not work for you), you have to find something that is sustainable.  It's not a quick fix; it's a lifestyle change and you have to be able to stick with it day after day. 

"The only successful way to reach and maintain a healthy weight is to find what works for you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment