Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Girls Gone Sporty Guest Post: How I Became a Runner

I recently became an ambassador for Girls Gone Sporty and I have really enjoyed getting to know my fellow ambassadors on our Facebook page. Several of us decided to do a guest post swap and I was thrilled to be paired with the fabulous Kristen Gillette, who runs the Adult Ballerina Project blog.  I'm so glad she shared the story of how she became a runner! Be sure to check out Kristen's blog for other great posts and a guest post by yours truly about my running story.  

Meet Kristen, a fellow runner from Philly!
How I Became a Runner

Throughout my childhood, I hated running. I was one of those kids who came in last in the dreaded mile race. I enjoyed swimming much more, unfortunately, we only had about a weeks’ worth of swimming classes at my high school.
It wasn't until I got to college that I actually enjoyed working out outside of a swimming pool. Although I mostly used an elliptical, I occasionally fast-walked/slow ran on the treadmill. I even ran a Color Run with a few of my friends before I "seriously" started running.
About a year ago, I started training for the Broad Street Run, a race through the heart of Philly, so that I could do the race with a lot of my friends during our last semester. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as I had planned--I wasn't even able to complete the 5k I had planned in April, having to embarrassingly drop out during the first length of the race due to pain (which I later learned were the start of stress fractures).
I did eventually go on to complete a 5k and another color run before being officially sidelined due to an official diagnosis of stress fractures some six months later. Even with the injuries, I still love running, and hope to start doing it again soon.
I love running because of the sense of freedom it gives me. I love going for a run when I'm stressed out or need a break from something. I also love that it's been a cheap activity for me and my boyfriend to do together. Plus the running community in Philadelphia is fantastic with a lot of great meet-ups and events.
Hopefully I'll be able to make it to this year's Broad Street Run with a little bit of luck and a lot of training.
Kristen's first Color Run
I look forward to keeping up with Kristen and I wish her the best in training for the Broad Street Run!  I can't wait to read the race re-cap! 

"Surround yourself with people that inspire you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment