Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Power of Positive Thinking

I think I've mentioned before that I listened to a great CD a few months ago by Dale Smith Thomas, who presented at a conference my mom attended a few years ago.  Mom brought the CD to me earlier this week because she thought I might want to listen to it again before Sunday.  She was right!  (Thanks, Mom!)

Dale's presentation is about making winning choices to be successful in all areas of your life and it's re-energized me in regards to my race, my weight loss journey, and my professional life.  I will post more on weight loss next week after the half, but I am already thinking of a birthday challenge for 2014!

It is interesting to me that each time I listen to Dale, something different speaks to me.  Dale speaks about the power of words in our life and offers new ways to phrase common negative thinking.  The first time I listened to the CD, I was drawn to changing the phrase I'm overwhelmed to I'm in demand because I happened to be experiencing some stress in my professional life.  This time around, I was drawn to her suggestion to change the phrase I'm nervous to I'm energized.  I love that; I am not nervous about my race, I am energized by it.

Another suggestion Dale offers is to write down your goals, because you have to address the what before you work on the how.  I really must keep this in mind and this morning I made a mental note to write down in one of my spare blank books (I heart blank books and have several) my weight loss goals for this year (well really, my lifelong goal).  As I write this, however, I realize that I need to write down my goal for Sunday, too!

I also had a great pep talk today at work from my co-workers, which I appreciated and needed.  My friend reminded me that I have been planning for this race for a year and it is a huge accomplishment to participate in it.  She reminded me that if I go into the race Sunday with negative thoughts in my head (I will cross that finish line even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees, I am afraid I won't be able to run it all, etc.) then I am going to start off on a bad note.  I really have been planning this race for a year and it is very exciting to know that the work I've put in will pay off in just a few short days.  I am committed to positive thinking from here on out. I am ready for this and I am really looking forward to race day.

"All we are is the result of all we have thought." 

No comments:

Post a Comment