Sunday, September 8, 2013

4 miles and some change

I ask you again to bear with me as I toot my own horn a bit (maybe a lot); guess who ran 4.05 miles tonight?  This girl!!  I wasn't sure it was in the cards today, because we had a lot of rain this morning and it was super muggy.  We waited until near sundown, though, to go out to avoid the high heat of the day and it wasn't too bad.  Luckily, we have been blessed with gentle breezes on these hot, humid days and it does help quite a bit.  Although, I'm still looking forward to crisp autumn days!

I set out for my run and Nick decided to scoot with me, so we had a nice conversation about where we were running to (the beach, in case you were wondering).  I've learned that it takes me a long time to warm up (or maybe just when it's hot? I guess I'll let you know in a few weeks if this is the norm) and my first two miles were in the mid-13:00 pace.  Not ideal, but it didn't phase me since it was hot and I was aiming for 4 miles.  No sense in wearing myself out early on.  I found my stride about 2.5 miles in and I actually felt pretty great.  

When the sun set, the temperature was actually quite pleasant, especially with the breeze and my legs felt super strong.  To increase my mileage, Nick and I took a detour on a side trail that some of the bikers use for a little off-road adventure. It was an adventure; note to self, scooters do not have the same tires as bikes and therefore can't handle the "off the beaten track" path like bikes.  I ended up carrying Nick's scooter as we both ran and thankfully, it was a relatively short path.  Scooters are heavy when you are 3 miles into a run.  

As I finished the last .5 of my run, I could see Matt and the boys up ahead and I got a burst of energy.  I was so damn proud of myself and I was shouting "Babe, I did it!" but he couldn't hear me because he was listening to music on the iPod and then I triumphantly put my arms in the air and nearly took out a biker passing me on the left.  To which I say, his fault because he didn't say "On your left" as he passed.  I'm sure I looked like a lunatic, but I didn't care.  I felt so good and I was so proud, nothing could have brought me down.  Matt went to give me a big hug and then told me that I "was hot."  I'd love to think that this was because I was so beautiful in my post-run state, but I'm well aware of the fact that it was because I was a sweaty beast.  Again, I didn't care. 

I've been hesitant to push myself to 4 miles for the past few weeks and I don't really know why.  I've hovered at the 3 - 3.5 mile range for some time and I just need to rip the band aid and push myself to the next level.  I knew in my head I could do it, but something was holding me back.  Maybe the heat?  Or maybe subconsciously I knew that after 4 miles, comes 5 and then 6, etc. and I psyched myself out.  

It's too late on a Sunday night to analyze the crazy ways in which my brain works, but I did want to say thank you to those of you who read my blog.  When I put my goals out there, like last night when I said I was hoping to get 4 miles in today, it holds me accountable knowing that you all are reading this blog and rooting for me.  I know that none of you would call me out if I didn't reach 4 miles, but it helps me to know that I committed to it online and I think of how great it will feel to post my results on my blog.  So, again, thank you!  

I came across another great blog last week (http://seesharprun.blogspot.com/) as I was reading about the runners at Disneyland competing in the Half Marathon weekend festivities and I love the author, Linzie's, positive attitude and enthusiasm.  He completed a marathon today and tweeted the whole time, which was so fun to keep up with.  I can't promise that I will be able to do the same when I complete my 1/2 marathon, but we'll see.  In any case, as I do with most blogs I love, I went back and re-read some of his older posts and came across the below quote, which sums up how I feel about running.  Since I've become serious about running, I've learned more about myself and my physical and mental strength than I thought possible (barring childbearing, that's another strength affirming milestone and having my boys is the only other time in my life when I felt like Super Woman). 

Don't forget to check the sidebar for some of my favorite blogs if you are looking for some other great reads.

"...running doesn't change who you are. Running enhances the strong, tenacious, and excellent qualities you always possessed."

No comments:

Post a Comment