Friday, September 6, 2013

Weird Post-Running Issues

First of all, let me start this post by sharing with you that I did not run this morning.  This probably comes as a shock to no one.  My early alarm woke me out of a fairly deep sleep and I immediately turned it off.  Then the next alarm beeped and I turned it off, too.  I just wasn't feeling it and I knew I could sneak in a run tonight, if needed.  I've really got to figure out a way to get myself out of bed, though.  Any suggestions are welcome!  I hope that when it's winter and I have no other choice but to run in the morning that I will get up and go, but I have my doubts. Particularly when it's freezing cold out, staying in bed under the warm covers is going to be much more enticing.

In other news, I have had a few interesting post-running situations arise that I am still trying to make sense of.  The first, I guess, is a no-brainer; last Saturday while I was running in the brutal heat, my hands swelled up like crazy and my fingers looked like sausages.  Since I've lost weight, my wedding ring is super loose on my ring finger, to the point that I can shake my hand and it will fall off.  However, after my hot run on Saturday, I couldn't get it off my finger at all.  I meant to take a picture of my hands because they were that ridiculous.  I'm sure the swelling had to do with the heat in some way or another.  I assure you, I kept myself hydrated during that run, but maybe I hadn't hydrated properly beforehand. After cooling down a bit and drinking more water, the swelling went down and hasn't returned, thankfully.

Tonight's post-running adventure was a bit scarier for me.  Matt, the boys, and I went to the trail and I ran for 3.5 miles (hooray!).  The weather wasn't too bad; it was probably in the mid-80's and there seemed to be no humidity at all and a great breeze.  I drank plenty of water and I felt pretty good.  It was pretty obvious that I hadn't run since Monday, though, as my calves were cramping early on and I felt a wee bit sluggish at first.  I kept a sub-13:00 pace the entire time, which is great for me, but I didn't feel like I was overdoing it.  We got home and Matt started dinner for the boys, while I stood at the sink doing dishes.  All of a sudden, I felt very hot and got incredibly light headed.  So I took a break from the dishes and took a deep breath while I set my head on the counter.  I continued on with the dishes and a few minutes later, the same hot flash radiated through my body and I got light headed again.  I was sufficiently light headed that I decided to lay down right there on the kitchen floor.  Nick was super sweet, as usual, and asked if I wanted company while I was on the floor, so he laid next to me for a bit.  He thought this was good practice for how we might lay in a tent if we decide to go on the first Cub Scout Camp Out in a few weeks.  Matt brought me some water with an electrolyte additive in it as well as a few chocolate chips for a sugar rush.  It seemed to help and after about 10 minutes, I got back up and felt somewhat better.  I haven't had any more episodes since then (about 2 hours ago), so I think all is well.  I'm curious though, if anyone has any thoughts as to what might have caused this episode?  I haven't Googled it yet, but plan to.

I really want to push myself to run 4 miles this weekend, but after my dizzy spell tonight, I'm not sure if I should.  I don't want to overdo it, so I'll see how the weekend goes.

Maybe I should program my phone to shout the below quote at me every morning.

"Get up and go. Just do it. Run."