Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dreaming big (running goals)

Sometimes, I think big; just ask my Mom and Matt.  Like the time a few weeks before Nick's first birthday when I said I wanted to make his Mickey Mouse birthday cake.  I think my mom and Matt thought they would ride it out until I gave up on that idea and moved onto something else.  Lo and behold, though, I made that cake and I've made every birthday cake for him since and I just started the same tradition for his baby brother.

Another ginormous Laura idea was to make Nick's Halloween costume beginning with his second Halloween.  This was also not a passing fancy for me.  I've stuck to that plan and while some years the costumes are less extravagant than others, I've made his costume every year as well as his brother's.

All of the above leads me to describe my next big idea.  Mom and Matt, you've been forewarned.  A few weeks ago, I was reading another inspirational running blog, Run with Jess, and discovered that Jess has a goal to run a 1/2 marathon or a full marathon in all 50 states.  How cool is that?  I love to travel and I'd like to visit all 50 states in my lifetime.  Being an Air Force brat and combined with the travel I've done, I'm well on my way.  I've been to nearly 40 states, including the two most difficult, Alaska and Hawaii, and I just have a few states left to finish up.  I'd love for Matt and the boys to visit all 50 states, too, and I thought it would be fun to try to tackle a race in each state so we can see the states together.

I'm not sure if I should commit to a 1/2 marathon for each state since I like to aim high or plan for a more reasonable 5K or 10K in each.  Maybe I could save the 1/2 marathons for special states on my list; i.e. the Disney Princess 1/2 could be my Florida race.  I love reading about Jess's races and she is tackling her 1/2 marathons and full marathons like a pro.  She's already completed 16 states, which is awesome.

It's a lofty goal to be sure, but I live for a challenge and I figure I have at least 2 decades of good running left  in me to achieve it!

Do you have any unique races in your state that I could add to my list? 

"One of the greatest feelings is accomplishing something you once thought would have been impossible." 

No comments:

Post a Comment