Thursday, September 5, 2013

Early Morning Running

This is going to be my reality...soon.  I am slightly dreading the end of Daylight Savings Time.  I love when it stays light so late in the summer for a multitude of reasons.  Not the least of which is that this summer it has allowed me and the boys the opportunity to exercise outdoors after work.  For awhile, I was pretty religious about working out during my lunch hour, but honestly, my mileage has increased so much that I don't really like running at lunch right now without having access to a shower post-run.  I'm pretty sure my co-workers, especially my office mates, are appreciative of the decline in my lunch running.  So, with that being the case and with extended daylight hours dwindling quickly, my only option is going to be early morning running.

I am NOT a morning person.  Never have been, never will be.  I am a night owl and can easily stay up until the wee hours of the morning reading a good book or watching a movie, but trying to get me out of bed pre-7 a.m. is damn near impossible.  Luckily, given my morning drop-off schedule for the boys, I don't think I would have to get up all that early to get a run in.  I've read that some people get up at 5 or 5:30 a.m. to get a run in before the morning routine kicks in for their family, but I think I could swing hitting the trail at 6:30, which isn't awful.  It's not great, but it could be worse.

Here's the rub; I have now tried twice this week to get up early to go for a run and it has been a complete failure.  Yesterday morning, I woke up with a disastrous headache.  Jack woke up before my early "get up and run" alarm went off and the throbbing in my head meant a run was out.  Matt was a trooper, though.  First, he put up with my crabby ass, secondly, he sent me back to bed and got breakfast made for the boys and their lunches prepared.  The combination of 3 ibuprofen and some extra sleep helped alleviate most of the headache.  I had some meetings yesterday afternoon, so I decided not to run at lunch and I had a few meetings up at Nick's school last night, so yesterday ended up being an unexpected rest day.

Last night, I decided to hit the hay early to prepare for an early morning run today.  I settled in at around 10 p.m. (which, truth be told, should be my regular bedtime.  I'm often up until midnight or later, though) and laid in bed, not sleeping.  For 2 hours.  After the first 30 minutes or so, I turned the TV off so that wouldn't distract me, but I still couldn't sleep.  It was super annoying.  Naturally, when I was finally feeling a little sleepy, Jack had a bit of a fit and wouldn't calm down and go to sleep.  Not the most restful night, therefore, I may have hit the snooze button a number of times this morning and skipped my run.  I again, didn't work out at lunch, and had a meeting at Nick's school tonight, so another rest day for me.  I should have done the elliptical last night or tonight, but maybe I need these rest days.

In any case, I plan to go to bed soon in the hopes (really high hopes) of getting up early tomorrow for a run.  So to those of you who see me on a daily basis, please ask me tomorrow how my run was.  Maybe the guilt of knowing that you will ask me about it will make me get out of bed at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

I also received some really exciting news today and I can't wait to share it with all of you.  I'm awaiting a bit more information before I share, so consider this a teaser.  Perhaps, I should clarify a bit, as I imagine some of you reading this have vivid imaginations and your minds have just gone a million different directions.  This exciting news is relative to my weight loss journey and my affiliation with the Sweat Pink Community.

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?' The answer is usually: 'Yes.'" 

No comments:

Post a Comment