Monday, September 9, 2013

Something exciting happened today...

I was featured on one of my favorite blogger's posts!!  I am SO excited!  I've been following Katie (http://www.runsforcookies.com/) for several months, in fact, she was the second running blog I started following and I'm so glad I found her!  Katie lost 125 lbs (!!) over 16 months with diet and exercise, particularly running.  She loves cookies (I mean, the really, really good ones from Mrs. Fields with two chocolate chip cookies with buttercream icing sandwiched between them. YUM!) and she began running so that she could continue to indulge her sweet tooth, hence the blog name Runs for Cookies. She blogs about maintaining her weight loss, running, and the challenge that is daily weight maintenance.  Katie's advice led me to ditch the Couch to 5K program (I by no means mean to diminish the program, it is a great program, it just didn't work for me) and do my own thing in terms of increasing my mileage at a rate that was comfortable for me. I love reading Katie's blog and I appreciate her candor about weight loss; it really is an up and down, roller coaster ride of a journey and I appreciate that she shares her highs and lows with her readers, but never gives up.

Each Sunday, Katie asks her readers to share their triumphs and she selects a few for her Motivational Monday post.  I was feeling so proud yesterday after my 4 mile run, so I decided to submit my story and achievement and Katie was sweet enough to include my story this week!   I opened her post and was scrolling through the page, when I happened upon my story and photo!  It was pretty cool, I'm not going to lie. Check out http://www.runsforcookies.com/2013/09/motivational-monday-31.html for some awesome, inspiring stories and to read about yours truly (10th story on the page).  Thank you, Katie, for inspiring me, and others, to reach our goals!  

I forgot to mention last night in my post that after my run I didn't have any issues with hot flashes or dizziness!  I was quite relieved.  I did some research and found out that others have experienced the same thing and answers ranged from sodium deficiency, to dehydration, or low blood sugar.  So before I headed out for my run, I guzzled a bottle of water with an electrolyte infused water enhancer and I also sucked on a Werther's candy to get a little sugar in my system.  I stayed hydrated on my run, but didn't over do it and I ate another Werther's when I finished my last mile.  I'm not sure which of the above helped with the strange symptoms, but I'm going to keep following that routine since it helped.  

We took a quick walk after work tonight, partially due to high humidity and heat and partially due to waning sunlight.  It was great family bonding time, although I could have done with a little less humidity! 

Don't forget to check out Katie's blog if you are looking for some inspiration; she has an amazing story to share and great advice for anyone looking to ramp up their running or lose weight. 

Likewise, if you have any triumphs or milestones to share, feel free to post in the comments section below! 

"Running is hard to explain. Yes it hurts. Yes it is one of the best feelings in the world. Somehow that makes sense...if you are a runner." 


No comments:

Post a Comment