Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I need help

I cannot get myself out of bed to run in the morning.  I'm now 0-3 in my attempts and although I have the best intentions, I've yet to make it out of bed early enough to run.  Today was as close as I've come to making it out the door, in that I was actually somewhat coherent when my alarms went off and pondered getting up, but it still didn't happen. As I've mentioned, I am not a morning person, but I can't use this as an excuse anymore.

I have a few theories (or more aptly, excuses) as to why I haven't been able to get up:
  1. I am not getting a lot of quality sleep.  My little guy is not the sleeper his older brother is (or was at this age) and Mama is tired.  He is still waking up in the middle of the night (anywhere between 1 and 6 a.m.) and 18 months of no more than 6 hours or sleep at a time is taking its toll.  I know it is just temporary, but I really function better on 9 hours of sleep. 
  2. I'm a night owl, which I guess coincides a bit with item 1.  While I know I should really go to sleep fairly soon after the boys go to bed, I find that I stay up late to enjoy my time to myself.  It's my time to spend time with Matt, blog, read, surf the web, watch tv, or catch up on housework (it should be noted that the latter is a last resort). 
  3. I'm a bit nervous to go running in the morning.  I don't have to get up at o'dark thirty to run thanks to my drop-off schedule for the boys in the morning, but I still need to get outside by about 6:15 or 6:30 and it's still somewhat dark outside.  My regular running trails are fairly wooded and I just get a little creeped out by myself at dusk and therefore would assume daybreak would be no different. 
I just think I need to get it over with and get the first morning run under my belt and I will feel much better. I know from (very minimal) previous experiences that working out in the morning is a great way to start the day, but, I have to get out of bed and out the door first!  

Do you have any advice or tips to share for getting up in the morning to workout?  Short of having someone blare a bullhorn next to me or dumping a bucket of ice on my head, I'll try anything! 

(I also want to wish a happy Wednesday tomorrow to a dear friend!)

"Sometimes running sucks. You're tired, it's early and cold. You don't wanna. 'Til you lace up and remember why you love the run." 

No comments:

Post a Comment