Monday, September 23, 2013

A glorious run

Today, I resumed my lunchtime running and it felt good to be back in my routine!  It helped that the weather was beautiful and I was mentally ready to get back on track.  I headed out to the park near my work and started on my old standby route around the lake.  I was cruising along, but didn't feel like I was any faster than normal, until my Nike+ app informed me at mile 1 that my pace was 11:20!  I was stunned, in fact, when I first heard her say average pace 11...I expected it to be in the upper 11's since my run on Sunday was in the 12:20 range.  When she said 11:20, I nearly stopped in my tracks.

I kept cruising along though and was debating about how far I was going to run today.  I felt pretty tired at about 1.5 miles and although I know I can easily run 5K, I decided to call it a day at 2 miles.  I was getting near the end of my lunch hour and I was feeling beat.  When my phone chirped 2 miles, I realized why I was feeling tired.  My second mile was at a 9:47 pace!  Unbelievable!  No wonder I was dragging a bit, I was unintentionally pushing myself harder than I ever have before!  My average pace for my 2.01 mile run today was 10:38/mile and I was so proud of myself!  I started running at around a 13:50 mile (this was sometimes combined with walking spurts) and to see paces like I did on my run today was a huge boost to my confidence.  Once I get through my 10K next month and before I start heavy training for my 1/2 marathon in April, I think I will focus a bit on speed work, since I know I can do it now.

I'm getting really excited for the Sweat Pink Weight Loss Hangout tomorrow night! I know most of you are familiar with my weight loss journey, but I hope you can join me and hear the other wonderful panelists share their stories!  Click here for more information and to RSVP!

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment