Saturday, August 10, 2013

50 lbs gone, gone, gone

I can finally, officially say that I've lost 50 lbs!  The MyFitnessPal badge on my blog is not rounding up today!  As of my weigh-in this morning, I've lost 50.1 lbs since January 5th and it feels great!  It's been a long road, for sure, with challenges galore, but it's certainly been worth it and I'm excited for the rest of my journey.

Speaking of challenges, let me tell you about my journey to the grocery store tonight.  It was kind of comical in retrospect. My poor Mama is under the weather, so after my run (more on that below) I stopped by the store to pick up some groceries for her.  I talked myself out of buying easily a 1/2 dozen things I didn't need.  I cut down the candy aisle to get to the back of the store (I didn't realize that it was the candy aisle, honest) and all movie candy was on sale for $1.  Hmm, Mom might want some Junior Mints to make her feel better, maybe I should get some, too.  "No, you don't need Junior Mints."  So, I head down the ice cream aisle to get something for Mom.  Maybe I could get a small, one-serving size container of ice cream.  "No, Laura, you don't need ice cream." (I should note that some of my restraint was more budget related.  Freaking $4 for a tiny thing of ice cream.  Crazy!)  Then, as I leave the bread aisle, I see it.  The bakery.  I love cherry pie.  A lot.  And I know this particular grocery store carries pie by the slice.  That seems like a rational solution.  I'll just buy myself a sliver of a piece of cherry pie.  I have it in my hands and I look to see the calorie content.  Except that it's not listed.  I'm pretty sure if the calorie content isn't listed, it's bad news.  Plus, I remember that my birthday is next weekend (who am I kidding?  I didn't forget) and that I will surely be celebrating with some type of delectable cake; the kind with the good butter cream icing.  So I put the pie down.  Then I see cherry Twizzler Pull-and-Peels by the cash register.  AH!  I just told Matt this morning that I was craving cherry Pull-and-Peels.  "Don't do it, Laura.  If you buy a bag of Twizzlers, you will eat a bag of Twizzlers."  I'd like to think that my crazy cravings were due to the fact that I just finished a run, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it entirely.  I might be having sugar withdrawal. In any case, I managed to leave the store with only the stuff for my Mom and a gallon of milk for our house, since we were out.  I was actually kind of amazed by my willpower.

My run tonight was pretty good, with a little bit of unexpected excitement at the end.  As I headed out to run, I was still undecided about how long I was going to run.  I figured I would just gauge how I felt near the end to decide if I was going for 2.0 or pushing through to 2.2.  I ended up running 2.0 miles and it was a pretty good run.  I suppose I could have gone for 2.2 and probably would have made it, but at 2.0 miles, I was back to my car and I didn't feel like running around for another .2.  Secondly, 2.0 miles has been a good challenge for me, so I think I'll keep at it for at least another run before increasing my mileage.  Unless I feel super spectacular on Monday, in which case, I might push for 2.2.

The excitement at the end of my run was courtesy of some jackass in a pickup truck near the end of my route.  On the days that I run at home, I've switched my route to a flat trail by my house.  Much as I love JB, I cannot tackle those hills yet. It's great for walking and short running spurts, but I don't think I'm physically ready to run those hills.  The trail I run on is fairly wooded, but near the area where I park, it runs parallel to some parking lots.  By one particular lot, there is a chain link fence covered by some brush.  As I was running by the fence, I hear a deafening roar and I look through the brush to see a pick-up truck coming at the fence (and me).   My heart starts pounding and I booked it as fast as I could.  Seconds before hitting the fence, the driver turns at the last minute and I realize that the idiot driver is doing donuts in the parking lot.  Not only is he doing donuts, but he is doing them at an absurdly fast speed.  Several times he came near the fence I was running next to and I couldn't tell if he was drunk, just an idiot, or both.  In any case, I kept up my speed just to get the hell out of there.  He did donuts for a few minutes and then left the lot.  People like that should have their licenses suspended.

How do you handle grocery store temptations?  Have you had any interesting encounters while exercising outdoors? 

"A huge part of losing weight is believing you can do it and realizing it's not going to happen overnight." 

No comments:

Post a Comment