Tuesday, August 27, 2013

There are good runs and then there are bad runs

Yesterday's run falls into the bad run category.  I can't quite figure out why, but I've narrowed it down to a few reasons:
  1. My Nike+ app lost her damn mind (yes, it's a she.  She and I have a love/hate relationship some days).  She has been acting weird lately and I don't know why.  Less than a 1/2 mile into my run yesterday, she proudly told me I had completed a mile in record time.  5 minutes.  Um, no.  That will never, ever happen nor had I completed a mile at that point.  It was beyond frustrating that I didn't have a reliable means to track my pace and mileage.  The trail is marked every .5 mile, but I double backed on the trail for a short time to increase my mileage, so I really have no clue how far I ran.  Matt and I guess that it was in the 2.5  mile range.  I was a bit bummed that I didn't get in 3.5 or even 3 miles, but see reason 2 below for further explanation. 
  2. It was bloody hot.  And humid.  And that = not a fun run.  I know I have been spoiled by pretty fantastic running weather for the past few weeks and I know technically it is still summer, but it was brutally hot and humid last night, which affected my pace and mileage.  I knew after the first mile it was going to be a struggle to even get 2 miles out, but Matt kept pushing me.  I kept saying I was tired and wanted to stop and he told me "You can do this" to which I replied "I know I can, I just don't want to" but that was enough to push me forward and keep going.  Thank you, babe, for the encouragement and for pushing me through! Thankfully, Fall will be here soon and I can crank out some miles and work to increase my pace.  Although, again, my pace will never be a 5 minute mile (do you hear me, Nike+ lady?). 
  3. I didn't turn on one of my trusty Run Like a Mother podcasts during my run and while I was proud of myself for running sans podcast, I missed it.  A lot.  I tried to be one with nature and enjoy my surroundings, but it was hot and I was tired.  I did have the company of my favorite 6 year old, though.  He kept up with me at times, scooted ahead for most of the time, and hung out with Matt and Jack a bit, too.  I loved spending time with him, but I found it incredibly hard to carry a conversation while running and sometimes when I'm in the zone and pushing myself hard, I just need a little quiet or distraction via podcast. 
I've had a lot of really great runs the past few weeks and while last night was definitely not one of them, it was still a run and a good workout, so I can't complain (too much). 

We went on a walk tonight at JB and it was nice except for the Nike+ app acting up again.  It was hot and humid again today, but there was a nice breeze blowing at times.  I have to say that I am SO proud of Matt!  I think I mentioned that he has really upped his game as far as working out goes and both last night and tonight he wasn't feeling a workout at all, but he came out with me!  He walked 2 miles yesterday despite being super tired and we did 2.4 (ish) on our walk tonight even though he didn't feel too good!  I'm proud of you, babe! 

This Mama is off to bed now as I can barely keep my eyes open any more!  I may or may not get a run in tomorrow.  I'm not able to go at lunch, nor do I think I would want to since it's supposed to be 99 degrees here tomorrow.  With the heat, I'm not even sure I should go after work, but we shall see. 

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream." 

No comments:

Post a Comment