Sunday, July 21, 2013

Date night and non-scale victories

I had date night tonight...with my favorite 6 year old!  Nick and I had some quality Mommy/son bonding time, which was much needed.  We were able to go to a Cardinals game (thank you so much, D!) and we had a blast.  We went to a Cardinals game when he was not quite 3, so I'm not sure he remembers it.  I do.  We went for family day when I worked for a former employer and it was hot, Nick wasn't paying attention (hey, he was little and our seats were up high so it was hard for him to see the game), and at some point, he injured himself so we called it a day.  The game we went to tonight will probably be the first he remembers and I hope he has wonderful memories of it. We cheered for the Cardinals, danced, clapped, sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and we stayed until the bitter end (Cards lost 5-3, boo).  Much to Matt's consternation, I'm not one to leave a game early no matter how dire the outlook might be.  I remember what a treat it was to stay until the last strike when I was a little girl, so it was fun to let Nick do the same.

I had a few non-scale victories today, which was encouraging.  The first revolves involves a fashion emergency.  I had a shirt in mind to wear to the Cardinals game, but when I went to put it on, I didn't like the color for the game.  It was a maroon-ish red, not a Cardinal red.  I can, of course, no longer where my adorable pink Cardinals shirt because it has a certain number 5 on the back.  A valuable lesson when buying team apparel, indeed.  Don't pick a shirt with a specific name and number on it unless A) you really, really like the player and would wear it even if they moved on or B) you are certain they will play for your team until they retire.  I digress.  So I scoured my closet and found a red polo I bought probably two years ago.  I wore it for awhile, but then it started getting more snug around the tummy and arms and I stopped wearing it.  I was desperate at this point to find something red so I put it on and low and behold, it fit!  It was actually baggy around the tummy!  Victory! When I went to leave for the game, Matt asked if I was wearing one of his shirts and I said "nope, just found this in the closet and can wear it again!"  That was a great feeling.

Another victory involved food at the ballpark.  This was both a monetary victory and a health related victory.  As you may know, ballpark food is not healthy. At all.  And, it is crazy expensive.  So I brought a bunch of bottled water and a few snacks to the ballpark.  Thank goodness Busch Stadium lets you bring in soft-sided coolers and non-alcoholic beverages in clear bottles.  Nick and I did get some ballpark food, though.  We split a hot dog and fries and he requested popcorn, so we shared that, too. It was just the right amount of food.  Normally, I love all the ballpark munchies, but it didn't really seem all that appetizing tonight.  I'm not sure if that was because of money, the heat, or being healthier.  Maybe a mix of all three.  In any case, victory!

The last little victory is relatively minor, but still worth sharing.  Of course since we stayed to the end of the game, the lines to get out of the stadium and into the parking garage were insane.  As we entered the parking garage, the lines for the elevator were packed so I told Nick we were going to take the stairs.  He told me "Mom, we parked on level 8" and I said "I know, but the lines for the elevator are too long and taking the stairs won't kill us."  I said that.  Me.  The one who always wants to take the elevator, even if it's just up one floor.  We hoofed it up 8 flights of stairs and it definitely didn't kill us.  Victory!

I also got in a bit of swimming this afternoon, which felt great given that it was so hot.  The pool water felt like bath water.  I'm hoping to get a run in tomorrow, weather permitting.

In the interest of not boring you all to tears every day, let me know in the comments section if there is anything in particular you'd like me to post about.  In the next few weeks, I'm planning on doing a post about my favorite workout accessories, but let me know what else would be helpful for you.  Or if you have a question, I'll answer it in an upcoming post.

"If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results." 


No comments:

Post a Comment