Friday, July 26, 2013

Race Rundown

Ha, word play.  Love it.  I have a pretty full race calendar (and race wish list) for the next few months, so I thought I'd share with you what's coming up!

  • This Sunday, I will be running the Unstoppable 5K which benefits The One Fund for victims of the Boston tragedy (http://www.fleetfeetstlouis.com/racing/highlighted-events/unstoppable).  I'm feeling pretty pumped for this race; the weather forecast looks perfect (low of 63 and a high of 80) and I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment so I'm hoping to get a sub 45:00 time.  I'm not sure about the elevations on the course though, which might be the only thing to damper my goal, but I'm sure going to try to PR! 
  • In mid-September, I will be participating in my first Color Run (http://thecolorrun.com/st-louis-fall/) and I can't wait!  This is going to be a purely fun race for me with no worries about pace.  I've heard so many great things about the Color Run and I'm so excited to experience "The Happiest 5K!"
  • In October, I'm going to challenge myself to the GO! St. Louis Halloween 10K (http://www.gostlouis.org/community-programs/events/halloween-10k.html).  I signed up for this race last year, but I wasn't feeling well on race morning and I was running by  myself, so I ended up not running it.  Not this year, though!  Halloween is my favorite holiday and I'm excited to participate in this race.  Now, I just need to think about what my costume will be!  
  • I'm also considering attending Homecoming at my alma matter in October to celebrate my 10-year reunion (yikes!) and there is a 5K as part of the festivities.  I will definitely participate if I can make it up to Kirksville that weekend! 
  • I'd like to do a race in November around or on Thanksgiving, perhaps a Turkey Trot, so I need to do some research and find one nearby!
  • I have two Races I'm mulling over for December; the first is the Santa's North Pole Dash (http://beta.active.com/st-charles-mo/running/santas-north-pole-dash-2013) where participants receive a long sleeved Santa shirt, hat and beard to wear during the race (how fun does that sound??).  Kids that participate receive a snowman shirt; cuteness overload!  I just found out about a second race in December called the Hot Chocolate 15/5K (http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/stlouis/goodie-bag/) and I really want to do this race.  All participants receive a fleece hoodie and I'm kind of obsessed with it.  It looks awesome and perfect for cold weather running! I could possibly do both races, but they are the same weekend (one on Saturday and one on Sunday) and I think that might be a bit much on the ol' legs.  I could always do one this year and one next year, I suppose.  
  • And last but not least, next April I will be running my first 1/2 marathon with my dear friend, Dana.  We are tackling the GO! St. Louis 1/2 (http://www.gostlouis.org/index.html) in early April and I'm pretty excited about it (only a little nervous)!  I'm still trying to figure out which 1/2 training plan I'm going to follow, but I have time to figure that out. 
If you hear of any fun races in the next few months, let me know! 

I had a late workout tonight on the elliptical in our basement (meh.  I would have rather gone outside or taken a spin on the recumbent bike, but time was limited tonight) since today was a cross-training day.  Debating about taking a rest day tomorrow or going for a walk before the race on Sunday.  Decisions, decisions. 

Love this quote: "Most people think your life changes forever the second you cross the finish line. Runners know that your life changes forever the second you decide to go to the starting line." 

No comments:

Post a Comment