Wednesday, July 3, 2013

You are what you eat

If this adage were true, I would be a Cheez-it.  Seriously. There is some addictive quality to Cheez-its and I succumb to them every time.  I find that I eat so well during the day while I'm at work, but I am starving by the time I get home and start snacking on whatever I can find, usually Cheez-its, before dinner is ready.  After a few weeks of this intense evening snacking, I started eating a late afternoon snack at work.  Typically, I will have a granola bar or yogurt around 4 p.m. but I find that I am still fairly hungry when I get home.

So I think it's time to re-evaluate what I eat throughout the day and perhaps alter my diet a bit.  When I was pregnant with Jack, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which ended up being a good wake up call for me.  Diabetes runs in my family and having gestational diabetes was the kick start I needed to lose weight to prevent having diabetes in subsequent pregnancies and when I'm older.  While I was initially quite upset about being diagnosed and the impact it would have on Jack, I was able to meet with a nutritionist and learn a lot about the proper balance between carbohydrates, fats, and protein to help keep my blood sugar in check.  Although I continued to worry about Jack throughout the rest of my pregnancy, I was able to see him regularly through extra ultrasounds requested to monitor his growth and I lost weight during my last trimester by watching my diet.  I think that perhaps it is time for me to revisit the principles I learned while pregnant with Jack and more carefully monitor the carbs, fat, and protein that I eat.

I'm looking forward to celebrating the 4th of July tomorrow; it is my second favorite holiday (after Halloween).  I can't wait to celebrate our country's independence by swimming, enjoying some BBQ goodness, and watching some spectacular fireworks!  Happy 4th of July to you all!

"It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment