Monday, July 1, 2013

I am a runner

I feel like today I can officially call myself a "runner."  And I've been bragging about it to pretty much everyone, so thank you tolerant people for putting up with me today, but damn it I'm proud.  I started this running journey last summer and got sidetracked big time, but came back again in January.  As I've said before, I do not typically enjoy running in the moment, but I love the sense of accomplishment afterwards.  The past few days, however, I have legitimately enjoyed it.  A funny thing happens when you have fun along the way, you can run farther and at a faster pace.  It's a pretty incredible feeling overall.

I took advantage of the exceptionally beautiful weather today (seriously, someone pinch me. It does NOT feel like St. Louis in July) and I did not one, but two workouts outside.  Rather than continually explaining the fact that I walk and run when I workout, I'm going to borrow a phrase my dear friend, Dana, coined and refer to it henceforth as wogging (a clever combination of walking and jogging).  I went for a wog at lunch and then the hubs, boys, and I went for a wog after work.

I honestly don't know if it was the fact that the weather was perfect (I think it barely made it into the 80's today and there was a delightful breeze) or the fact that maybe, just maybe, I am finally building up my strength and endurance, but I really, truly enjoyed the running portions of my wogs today.  I never thought I would say that out loud, but I did say that several times today and I just typed it, so it must be true!

When I went for my wog at lunch, I did the smaller loop of my normal path, and I ran a fair share of that loop.  It was definitely over 1/2 a mile, which doesn't sound like a lot, but coming from this girl who has never, ever been a runner, it was awesome.  Not only that, but I could have kept going.  I felt great and, as silly as it sounds, I felt powerful and strong.  I should have kept going, but my running shorts were being stupid.  It's awesome losing a lot of weight, but then your clothes get too big and baggy. Note to self: get new workout clothes that fit. 

After work, my boys and I headed to our favorite trail and had a good wog.  Jack is always at one with nature and he was perfectly content chilling in his stroller enjoying the breeze while Nick zoomed along on his scooter.  Matt even got in on a little running action!  I ran down my favorite long hill and while it was only .35 mile, I felt great while doing it and kept a pretty good pace.  I love this feeling of accomplishment!  It's incredibly motivating, but I'm going to take things slow.  I'll gradually increase my distance, but keep my pace on the slow side and work my way up to 5K in the next month or two.

I'm looking forward to another lunch wog tomorrow since it looks like the lovely weather is going to stick around for a bit.  Don't forget to check back in tomorrow for the Week 2 update of the Birthday Challenge!

"I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far."

No comments:

Post a Comment